Saturday, October 25, 2008

Renewed confidence..

Today was a good day.

I've started writing again, which I have to admit is a blessed feeling. I hope that it continues throughout the rest of the day, and even in to tomorrow.

I think part of my problem, was not just due to the stress of work and every day life. But it was also the worry and the apprehension of feeling like complete and total amateur.

But, on one of my random jaunts onto Kim Harrison's website I read her most recent Drama Box posting, and she was talking about her method of writing. And about how it's evolved over time. But she specifically spoke about how she does the dialogue first, then writes the chapter. Basically filling in between the spoken parts.

I thought I was a complete amateur because I had been doing this myself. Not recently, I'll admit. I have been struggling through this current chapter, as there is not much conversation in the current spot.

But knowing that what I'm doing is well... acceptable, gives me a little hope that I won't be a complete failure at it simply because of my particular process. Now, that doesn't take away from the fact that the entire book could be a complete and total failure, but that is entirely besides the point. And a point that I'm hoping will never happen.

To be quite honest, I've been fighting a bit of stress induced depression recently, and my depression was making me feel unsure about my writing abilities.

So off again I go to write, and I now know that it's perfectly okay just to scribble down a page of a dialogue when the inspiration hits.

Thank you for those who have reminded me that I'm doing a good job.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Good luck with the writing. I have a book myself that I'm hoping to one day hit the bookstores. Hang in there and I hope you're feeling better.

Tsai said...

There is no wrong to writing. There are just the words and scenes that pile up in your head and drive you crazy until you put them down on paper (or screen). However you put them down, the trick is that you must put them down. Keep writing.