Saturday, April 25, 2009

The things one hears in a bookstore..

So there I was, in Hooked on Books this morning, and this highly amused me.
I over heard this conversation:

Little Girl 1: "No, you have to go to mom's corner to find her books"
Little Girl 2: "Mom has a corner?"

As the two young girls walk right past me into the very much "Romance" area of the store.
Little Girl 2: "Oh." (in a very knowing way)

Moving along, today mom bought a Spinning Wheel.
Yup, we are once more the owners of a wheel. But this one, is not in need of repair, which means you can actually... spin on it.

After picking up the wheel, I dropped my mom off at her church so that she can work in the garden. Even though it is drizzly outside, they are determined to get the garden going again.

We were early, so we found Poor Richard's. Which is a used bookstore in Downtown Co Springs (it was literally a block away, so that was fun)
Now, here are my thoughts on Poor Richard's.
I'm quite undecided if I like it or not. It is the neatest, cleanest used bookstore I've ever seen.
It doesn't look like a used bookstore at all.
You can find everything right away, and it's attached to a coffee shop, and it's also attached to a toy store, and has a lot of things for sale.
I honestly think it bugged me at how neat and organized it was. And it still didn't feel like a used bookstore due to the high amount of duplicates of the books.

I had taken my copy of Breaking Dawn with me, because the plan had not been to go to Poor Richard's but instead to Hooked on Books.
I had decided not to take my copy into Poor Richard's because 1)I didn't know if I would find anything I wanted to take home, and so I didn't want credit at a store downtown instead of HoB which is closer. and 2)a woman was walking in with a copy of Breaking Dawn. So generally used bookstores don't like multiple copies (this was before I went in and saw the many multiples.)

So when I was done dropping mom off, and we were done with Poor Richard's, thats when I headed towards HoB. Sure, it took me wandering around for an hour to find all the books I wanted.. .but also it was only my second time there. It is organized in the classic Used books manner, which means cluttered and there is the chance of tripping over some books... But it just felt a little nicer.
As I was trying to actually use my Trade Credit, that is the reason it took me so long to actually get out of there. The books I tend to read tend to be the ones that you can't use trade for.

The ones I ended up with was
Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris (book 2 of Sookie. So what that means, is I just need to find the first one and then I can send it to Guy without any guilt)
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown - haven't read it yet, so finally decided to pick it up.
Hunter's Moon by Lori Handeland - yes, it's a trashy romance novel, but once I'm done I'll take it back to the store for credit. And heck.. it's werewolves and such. So it's a fun trashy romance.


Books:
Still reading "White Witch, Black Curse" Kim Harrison

Watching:
Just finished Supernatural season 3. Man I enjoy that show a lot. Damn now having to wait for season 4.

Started watching Ghost Whisperer season 1. Meh.. .it's alright... I'm annoyed by the wardrobe choices made for Jennifer Love Hewitt. I'm sorry, but when you work in an antique store and actively moving boxes/gathering new merchandise.... you do not wear long flowy white dresses. So that bugs me. And my gods, it repeats so much dialogue it's not even funny anymore. "I call them earth-bound spirits, those who cannot pass on".

I am whilst having the house to myself, watching Smallville season 7. Oooh Bizzaro!

Health:
I finally figured out why this week I've been so cranky... My body decided that after nearly 6 months of not having a period it was time. (yeah yeah... I had been meaning to force one, but I just kept putting it off so I wouldn't be cranky at work)
That would explain why my tailbone felt out of whack yesterday, and why I've been so very irritable. Also why my entire body is all achy. So today I'll start my round of spacer pills and just go with what the universe and my body apparently wanted.

Work:
My backup is about to make my life a lot more stressful, as he has reached the breaking point with the politics at work. Basically, remember me this time last year, and you'll understand where he is at. Though I moved past it and just have hit the apathetic state, he is in the angry state and is doing everything he can do to get a new job.
I do wish him luck, and I do hope that he finds something (I cannot begrudge anyone for not wanting to stay there... If I didn't have the light at the end of the tunnel.. .I would have quit a long time ago)
But, it he goes.. that will mean I am loosing really the only real worker I have, and the sad fact is there is no one that I can replace him with. Quite literally, no one. Everyone else only works half days, or gets sent over to other desks. I do not have anyone who is trained for backlogs, that is always there. (And those who are not trained... well lets just say, there is no one up to snuff on even being able to do backlogs)

Knitting:
I'm almost done with my first sock. Woohoo. I've turned the heel and everything. I got very frustrated with the instructions for the heel, because it was wanting me to do something that is not physically possible.

There are times, were you just cannot fit 13 stitches, into a space where it only allows for 10. So that made me frustrated to the point where I had to hand it off to my mother.
I understand what the instructions wanted, but there was just no way that I could squeeze those stitches in there.
We'll see how the second sock goes.


Well... I'm officially starving, and I think I'm going to be decadent and make french toast.

Later peoples.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Dude, love the trashy paranormal romance.

Though, if I have to read about one more "prime alpha male" having a wang the size of a baseball bat, I might just scream. And not in the fun, "oh my god the neighbors need a cigarette" way.

Wicked said...

Note: Whoops, my bad, it's called Poor Richard's not Poor John's.

@Marissa

Bwhahaha, you crack me up. I completely agree. I might just be early in the series of Lori's, but what I recall she isn't that bad... (or mayhaps I just don't remember the first book very much)

And I just had an entire thought about the whole size vs alpha situation, but I just had an "ooh shiny" moment and forgot what I was going to write.

Leslie said...

Marissa, you are too funny.

Your Momma got a new toy. Darla has offered roving.