Friday, October 9, 2009

Stupid snow.

The first actual snow happened last night.

Which meant my ass had to get out of bed 30 minutes early. Which means yes, my ass was out of bed at 4:30 in the morning. That means my first alarm went off at 4:00 am, when I took 2 caffeine pills instead of my normal 1.

Yes, I hate my life.

But wait, it gets better.
The snow stopped in the middle of the night. The roads were clear, just had to scrape off the car.
But, it didn't matter, I was still up 30 minutes early.
Not like I could go back to bed.
Drive to work, mom is going to borrow my car today so she tags along.

I'm at work by 5:20 in the morning.
I figure I could start working at 5:30 thus leaving 30 minutes early this afternoon.
None of the managers are here to ask. Damnit.
I call my manager on his cellphone to get his A-Okay.
He doesn't answer.
Goddamnit.
Now I'm stuck at work 40 minutes early twiddling my damn thumbs.
My back is seriously tweaking already from having to get up before my normal time. I've taken all the drugs I can for it, and none are working.
Every single person I've dealt with on the phone has been a cranky bitch, and I'm not in a happy mood. I've only been "working" for an hour now and have dealt with just too much crap.

Moving along..
I'm currently reading Diane Mott Davidson's "Catering to Nobody"
Which, is set in a fictional town that vaguely resembles Evergreen, Colorado.
It's nice to see a book set in Colorado, even if it is filled with the classic Mountain town cliches. The cliches bother me, mostly because I never see them, so I sit there going "thats not what Colorado is really like."
But... thats not actually true. I just happen to live in my little world in Colorado, and I end up not seeing half the cliches that are even a block away from me.
What can I say, I live in the slightly posher area of town, I don't have farmers for neighbors, none of the people I know where fringe clothing or cowboy boots.
Yes, the town I live in is the Republican city of Colorado (seriously, if you try to register Democrat here, they actually ask you "Are you sure you want to do that? I mean are you really sure?"
This is a "military mountain town" so it's an odd mix of everything and thus does not fall into any cliches other than being the "nexus of all evil" in my opinion.
Sigh... I miss Boulder. In Boulder you got looked at funny if you were Republican. (I had a friend who was borrowing her fathers car while hers was in the shop, her father was uber republican, but did not live in Boulder. My friend was afraid to drive around town due to all the republican bumper stickers. lol)

In Evergreen, I'm pretty sure it's slightly more on the Democratic side of the spectrum, which is both in the book I'm reading, and also what I've witnessed from the town it's self.

Moving back to the book it's self, I'm just over half way done.
I'm very torn about the characters.
The Main character Goldy... is alright.
Her 11 year old son is a twit whom is making me not want to bother having kids if all 11 year old males are like that. (Suddenly.. I'm seeing Dogs in my future instead of children)
The 20 year old female that is renting a room from the main character is such a dumb ass twit that I want to scream if she is mentioned on the page.

The book is alright.. if not repetitive.
Yes, she left an abusive marriage.
Yes, she is afraid of loosing her income due to the attempted murders that happened at one of her catering events.
Yes, the cop likes her.
Yes, she needs to "calm" down (seriously every single person has said this to her at least twice)
Do we need to be reminded of this every single page? No.

I will reserve actual judgment until I have finished the book. I could just be cantankerousness in my review due to my sleepy cranky nature at this moment.
I do like some of the recipes that are in it.

Sigh. I guess I'm done for now.
I think I'm going to dye yarn tomorrow.

I hate snow.

6 comments:

luna petunia said...

Hiya! I have read DMD's books, although a while ago & they finally wore on me, too. It is a cute genre, though. I am plowing through A. Lee Martinez's stuff. The best so far is, A Nameless Witch." Funny, funny & great characters! Give him a whirl.
love from luna at
http://spelledwithaw.blogspot.com

luna petunia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marissa said...

And here I am *wanting* snow. :-(

Wicked said...

@Luna, I'll check him out.

@Marissa... I don't mind snow... when I don't work normally at 6 am.
Cause dealing with driving early to work due to snow is a bitch.

Snow next year after the move.. I'll be fine with. ;-)

Leslie said...

and gone by noon,,,

Anonymous said...

Know what you mean about the snow.My trucks and cars stay in the garage so I don't have to clean them off when it shows.But I have I big driveway to shovel and live in a tiny town the hardly sees a snow plow.