Friday, June 26, 2009

Beth Turner.. Welcome to the World.

Alright... Just a quickie as it is well past my bedtime, and I am also running on less than 4 hours of sleep (don't worry, you'll get to hear all about the adventures in Denver and the Jacqueline Carey book signing) And forgive me any of you who have already seen this announcement in other various places.. I'm excited.. and I'm also trying to get my work out there.

This is my very very first yarn dyeing attempt.

Yarn: DK weight 100% Bamboo, chain style
Dyes: Cushing Direct Dyes

Colorway name: Beth Turner - Moonlight



In the photo's she's really dark, but thats because she was still quite wet. As she's drying I've already noticed the color softening. Which I'm fine with because I originally envisioned this colorway to be 'softer'.

I have to admit that the perfectionist in me is slightly disappointed in a few spots of it, but for a first attempt it's certainly not too shabby, there were only a few spots where the purple and the yellow mixed in a not so pretty way or that the color got on a section it wasn't supposed to.
I was very much flying by the seat of my pants doing this, and I learned a lot with each color dipping I did. So I'm keeping my head up and really I'll wait to see what the morning light brings. If nothing else, I'm learning that I can actually get things to translate from the image I see in my head, to the yarn I hold in my hands. (just a matter of perfecting it now)

I'll decide in the morning when she's dry if I'll be selling her or if I'll just be keeping her for personal use.. either way.. I had fun.. I just very much wish I had a larger kitchen! (Thankfully, the Hunny of Mine knows that I will require a large kitchen for when we are house hunting.)

I have realized my problem now though...

I am now completely out of undyed yarn. :-(

I shall have to order some...

3 comments:

Marissa said...

I love it, it looks really really good!

Deneen said...

Beautiful! I received a big folding table for Mothers Day just for dyeing and bought a new drying rack too.

Leslie said...

Nummy, great job hon! Woot.. I knew you couldn't wait!