Wednesday, June 3, 2009

An odd morning for certain.

This morning after I came into work, and did my "first thing in the morning responsibilities", I steeled my reserve, straightened my spine, and walked in to my bosses office.

I didn't immediately shut the door, so for once he didn't get that "Uh Oh." deer in headlights expression. (The reason for not shutting the door was simply because there were only 3 other people in the entire office and they were all at least over 30 feet away. Privacy wasn't really going to be an issue.

I let him know where I was mentally with the state of the desk.
After all, moral kind of took a nose dive after we laid off 3 people, and shifted 2 people away(By all rights, we technically also got at least 2 people back, so we really didn't reduce our numbers.)

I let him know that I was absolutely terrified of being shuffled over to the other main desk we have here. They fire people instead of laying them off, they also have entire weeks (during the summer especially) where they don't lay you off or fire you, they just don't let you work. (Or they only let you work a few hours).
He understood my fear of that desk, and also of the other desk we have- which is not nearly as scary as the first one I mentioned, but it's still scary enough because they also fire, not lay off.

I let him know that I did the math, and by all technical accounts, I can afford to be laid off. (Not fired)
Now before you freak out, he understood that I wasn't lining myself up to be let go in the next round (if we have one). No, he knew I was letting him know, that if it came down to it, and the desk went away... What the best options for me were. Also, karmically, if me being laid off means someone else who desperately needs to be working can keep a job, then I'm okay with that.
The bottom line is, I'm moving. July 2010 come hell or high water, I'm moving. I have nearly half, of my over all "move money goal". Right now, I can move my cat. Or I can move my belongings. Not both.
But, if it comes down to it. The cat can stay a few months longer. The belongings can be put into storage until I can afford for it to be shipped.

I will be one of the last people who ever get let go when it comes down to it. I am one of the very few people who bring revenue into our desk.

The summer is always a slow time for us. It always has been.
Fall through till after Christmas is our really busy time. Then we get slow again till around graduation. Then the cycle repeats.

So I'm not actually worried about loosing my job any time soon. That doesn't mean I'll relax though, because I'll still do the best work that I can do, and continue to make myself indispensable.

I feel better now that I've had the talk with the boss, as in the end, he is the one who decides where I go and what happens to me.
I've always been lucky in the fact that I can openly talk to him.
It so far has never come back to bite me in the bum which is good. He knows where I'm at. I know where the desk is at. I know where I am at with him. And for now, I'm one of the safest people here.

Alright, moving along before I keep rambling.
This morning was an odd morning.
Well, technically it started yesterday.
I came home to Mother of Mine asking how to reboot the internet.
I started walking her through all the steps, that way if it happens when I'm not home, she can do it.
During that process, we discovered that the modem wasn't powering back on. I hadn't looked before I told her to unplug it, if there had been any lights.
I tried turning on the computer that was plugged into the same power strip- no go.
Huh, looks like the power strip finally died. I mean, I'm not surprised.. that one was prolly at least 10 years old, if not more.
Plugged the modem into a different power strip, everything booted up fine, we had the net again.
I didn't think much of it, thinking it was just that power strip.

This morning, I wake up. I go to walk downstairs.
The light above the stairs doesn't come on. huh. interesting... "damnit" I thought, we burned out another bulb. That means it'll be 6 months at least before it gets fixed, because we can't do it. We have to have the leasing company do it.
I make my way downstairs (normally it's not a big deal, but today it was raining so that meant no natural light coming in the house)

I turn on the kitchen light. - nothing.
I look at the stove, the clock is correct. I look at the microwave, the clock is correct.
My bathroom light had turned on when I was upstairs, and my alarm clock had gone off. Thus, it was not power failure.
I turn on the dining room light (which is on the same set of switches as the kitchen light) - nothing.

It's weird, because it's only 2 sets of switches in the entire house that aren't working like they should. And I don't think they are on the same fuse.
Mom is going to check the fuses when there is natural light (the fuse box is outside- i know... BRILLIANT!)

So that's how my morning started.
It's now an hour into my work day. Though I've been up for 2 and a half hours.. and I am only just now being able to eat my brekkie. (Yum, a peanut butter and jelly sammich... sigh.. I must really buy milk so I can have my normal cereal.)

Also.. it is the 3rd of June, and it has rained every day. Or at least been drizzly.
Methinks this shall be an odd summer.

I guess thats all the rambling I'll do for now. Must go make myself indispensable.

No comments: