Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dumbing down the world.. one Tv channel at a time..

Article can be found here:

Link

So for those who won't read it. The gist is that SciFi is now going to try to shed the geeky image by changing the name to "SyFy"

SyFy? What the f*ck is that?

Sci Fi is supposed to be SCIence FIction. Yes, it is geeky. Yes, it brings up memories of StarTrek, StarWars, and cheesey poof eating geeks in their parents basement.

But you know what. I'm one of those geeks. I've played Dungeons and Dragons. I've done online role playing games. Hell, I've done LIVE ACTION role playing games.

Growing up, I read science fiction novels about telapathic spaceships.
It made me think about the possiblities that are out there, and what we can achieve as humans.

Now, Science Fiction isn't just about space creatures and such like that.

It is Steam Punk. It is exploration. It is so many other things that just geeky overweight guys in their parents basement.
Jules Verne was a Sci Fi dude.
So was HG Wells. I mean, come on.. a time machine? That is one of the classic Sci Fi fodder.

SyFy has no meaning to me.

I am not happy. the SciFi channel was one of the few channels that I still enjoyed watching things on. I guess now I'm gonna have to go over to Discovery Channel and tell "SyFy" where they can stick their "Sy".

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Icky poo, "How too cute" Sigh!

rjccj said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who was WTF about that. It really hurts my head.

Anonymous said...

Yes I to am a sci fi geek!!!
My MP3 player had Harry Potter.Journey to the center of the Earth and Coast to Coast on it.
When I run at the gym I put the T.V. what ever channel has big foot or U.F.O.'s on.I once ran for 90 minutes because they was killer show on time travel
So if we true sci fi geeks are a dieing breed I say we go down swinging.
And if you want to see people stare just imaging the looks I get when other skydivers see me reading "The Hollows" books